Milspouse Matters Episode 31 with Terri Laurent
Happy New Year! Welcome back to the first episode of 2020!
As you walk through military life, who do you look up to? How do you find someone who can help you navigate the nuances of the military world, answer questions, or be a support? Finding a mentor you trust can be so important. And then, as you get more experienced, passing that knowledge on is so needed!
On this episode, Jen talks with guest Terri Laurent about the qualities that make a good mentor, role model, and friend. Terri shares stories from her nearly 3 decades of military spouse life, including what she did right and even what didn’t go so well! She also talks about managing expectations and the importance of taking a leap to form relationships. Terri is a true gem for the military spouse world, and I think you’ll enjoy hearing her perspective…and I hope inspired to reach out and widen your own circle! Take her wise advice.
More about Terri:
Terri Laurent spent 28 years as a military spouse following her husband around the world, enjoying the last 6 years in Japan. She embraced her role as mentor when she realized she was becoming the oldest girl in the room. She’s acted as an advisor for Enlisted Spouse groups, volunteered at Airman and Family Readiness Centers, and taken on leadership roles in PWOC.
In retirement, the same desire to pour into others has continued as she fosters multi-generational friendships in her church and community. Sharing the lessons learned from years of living with those who are in other stages of the journey is one of the greatest joys of her life. Terri and her husband Jim retired to Suffolk, Virginia and became small business owners, starting First Light Photography, LLC. They have 2 grown children, Erin and Cody. Roxy their rambunctious American Bulldog keeps life interesting.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Episode 30 – When You Feel Alone
- Episode 24 – Walking with Young Children Through a Parent’s Deployment with Renee Walker
- Episode 23 – Helping Your Military Child Thrive with Judy Davis
- Episode 22 – When Your Child Joins the Military with Elaine Brye
- Episode 19 – Keeping Your Marriage Strong During Deployment with Lizann Lightfoot
- Episode 18 – Help! My Spouse Is Deploying and I Just Moved Here!
- 5-Day Deployment Devotional
- 15 Bible Verses for Military Spouses Facing Deployment or Separation
- Jen’s book, You Are Not Alone: Encouragement for the Heart of a Military Spouse
- Be Safe, Love Mom by Elaine Brye
- MilitaryByOwner’s military life content
We’re not too far into the new year, and things are already a little bit…crazy in the military world. If you or your family has been directly affected by the latest surge in deployments or separations due to military service, please reach out to me so I can get you a copy of my book, You Are Not Alone: Encouragement for the Heart of a Military Spouse. I have about 30 copies I’m gifting until supplies run out. (Yes, for free!) Either shoot me a note on social media or firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s not much, but I hope to support you during this difficult time.
More resources for your military life:
- Connect with Milspouse Matters on Instagram
- Christian Military Spouse Facebook Group
- Find the complete Milspouse Matters show archive and listen to every episode
Get Jen’s book, You Are Not Alone: Encouragement for the Heart of a Military Spouse.
Have a topic idea for the Milspouse Matters podcast or know someone who’d be a great guest? Send me a note or fill out our guest application.
*This post contains affiliate links and I am an Amazon associate. This means that if you make a purchase using an affiliate link, I receive a small commission.