Milspouse Matters Episode 91 with guest Jack Wray
Today, we’re talking all things military care packages with Jack Wray from Hero Care Packages!
A former Naval Officer, Jack is the founder of Hero Care Packages, the first of its kind company to send curated military care packages to deployed service members. Jack is a veteran of two deployments, once circumnavigating South America, and again as the Navigator on a ship’s maiden deployment to the South China Sea. He started Hero Care Packages after leaving the Navy, currently lives in New York, and was recently married.
Have you ever wondered the best process for sending a military care package? Want some help in creating your own or looking for a curated care package to send to your service member?
Jack and I discuss:
- The story behind Hero Care Packages (which features veteran curated military care packages!), and why he was moved to start the company after going through deployments himself.
- Tips for DIY military care packages.
- The benefit and process of sending a care package with Hero Care Packages: types of boxes offered, how the process works, subscriptions, where they ship.
- The response to Hero Care Packages from military members.
- Their partnership with Soldiers’ Angels (if you’re wanting to donate a care package).
- How to be aware of care package scams.
Jack says of how Hero Care Packages puts together their boxes (and this is good advice if you’re creating your own!):
“We put a lot of thought into the products we pick. Our mantra is really quality over quantity. You can’t send someone 40 items because they don’t have space for that. So we try to pick really good, high quality things and send your service member a box that they really appreciate.“
He also shares:
“I feel like if we can make it a little easier for the military spouses and family members, that’s the most important thing we can do.”
Want to learn more? Connect with Hero Care Packages:
Use code milspousematters for 20% off your first care package at Hero Care Packages and be sure to enter the giveaway.
This episode is sponsored by the Christian Milspouse Podcast, where we talk about how our Christian faith can be applied to our military spouse journey. We’re talking about all the issues that go along with military life: loneliness, starting over, trusting God, raising kids, strengthening our marriages, finding a faith community, connecting with others, and so much more. Each short episode is 5-10 minutes long, perfect for you to have a spot of encouragement in your busy week!
More resources for your military life:
- Connect with Milspouse Matters on Instagram
- Christian Military Spouse Facebook Group
- Find the complete Milspouse Matters show archive and listen to every episode
Get Jen’s book, You Are Not Alone: Encouragement for the Heart of a Military Spouse.
Have a topic idea for the Milspouse Matters podcast or know someone who’d be a great guest? Send me a note or fill out our guest application.
Don’t forget! The PILLAR deployment retreat is coming Nov 4-6, 2022! I’ll be talking about helping your teens through a parent’s deployment. Along with many other military spouses and military life experts, we’re all here to help you power through deployment. It’s all online, completely free, so grab your tickets here: PILLAR digital deployment retreat.